by A Total TaiTai Tale
Built in the 19th century, Lau Pa Sat or Telok Ayer Market has long dominated the local landscape with its striking presence. A true Singapore landmark, it was gazetted as a national monument in 1973.
Situated in the heart of the financial district, the market’s distinctive octagonal shape and ornamental columns were first conceived by British architect George Coleman. He also designed many of colonial Singapore’s prominent buildings that are still standing today, such as Old Parliament House.
When the market had to be moved from its original waterfront location and rebuilt in 1894, Municipal Engineer of Singapore and Scotsman James MacRitchie retained its essential shape, but added a graceful clock tower and a new cast-iron supporting structure. The frames were cast in Glasgow before being shipped to and assembled in Singapore. (VisitSingapore)
from Tumblr https://ift.tt/2Mo7Ep0